Most Wanted

This was an odd week, and I ended up changing my mind. To be honest, I initially chose New Avengers #31 as potentially the best - and it could have been: great story arc so far, nice flow with the whole Civil War thing, the setup looked great, and that whole promised "Nothing will be the same!" last panel.

Yeah, I'm a sucker. I would complain about a bait-and-switch, but one that actually involves a Skrull in disguise? ... well, I have enough of a sense of humor to realize that really, that's kinda funny. Fooled me good, you did Marvel.

So, I'm swapping my first choice with another one. And because it's another Big Event title, I'm still a sucker. Well, at least this one was decent:

Ow! Hotfoot!
World War Hulk #1
Writer: Greg Pak
Artist: John Romita Jr.

This will be a short entry because, really the entire issue is a quick set-up and Planet Hulk re-cap followed by a lot of Hulk Smash. And make no mistake, I like Hulk to Smash. But it's done decently enough: Iron Man is less of a prick than usual, you sympathize with the Hulk even while he's smacking everyone around, it's all pretty believable, and boy! is the art pretty! My only real complaint is that Hulk seems to be pretty much effortlessly mowing through some of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. It's almost too easy .... I mean, he beats the ever-lovin' snot out of Black Bolt off panel, and that promised to be one of the better matchups. I know I wanted to see those two really throwdown!

Anyway, as first issues go, this was one of the better Big Event ones; it actually has got me looking forward to the rest of the series, and glad I didn't wait for the trade. So, it did its job.

Smashy Smashy!

Most Wanted Panel:
KRAKKABA-THROOM!

That's for Civil War, you prick.

2 comments:

Adam Barnett said...

I have to admit, I'm coming down the home stretch of Civil War, and I'm really wishing the Hulk would show up and just whale on Iron Man and company. Nice to see you back, big guy!

SallyP said...

I want to see Hulk throw Iron Man SO far out into spaaaaaaace, that he'll have to rely on Nova to get back. Maybe he'll have a little bit of appreciation for Rich then. Haw!